Things are still looking sketchy out there. In our last blog we shared a few tips to stay safe on the roads when hiring a motorhome or campervan for the first time. So, it’s only natural that this time, we’re sharing a few of our favourite road trip destinations around southern Queensland.
COVID may take away our international flights, but it will not take away our roads to freedom (for now, anyway).
Trip 1: For the beach lovers
If you love the feeling of Queensland’s beautiful white silica sand between your toes, then surely the drive to Rainbow Beach is high on your priority list. While only a short three hour journey from Brisbane, you can take your time heading up and back, stopping off at a few Sunshine Coast favourites for a slow-drive journey.
- Admiring the arty Montville or doing a customary dairy tour of its surrounding area (that’s a day trip in itself!)
- Hiking the tracks throughout Noosa’s lush reserves and parklands (Noosa is an internationally protected Biosphere Reserve)
- Hire a kayak at Rainbow and hit the water to spot dolphins and other marine life
For maximum effect, consider going 4WD for this one, or opt for a day tour of Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach and leave that challenging off-road navigation to the experts!
Trip 2: For the wine lovers
Ditch the kids and head to Queensland’s wine country via the Southern Country Way. With mountainous ranges and scenic lookouts (it’s not called the Scenic Rim for nothing!), the relatively short trip to Stanthorpe is the perfect long weekend destination. Check out:
- Boonah for its boutique stores, cafes and impressive lakes
- Rathdowney for a well-prepared bush walk or helicopter tour of Mt Barney National Park and its breathtaking upper and lower portals (make sure to visit the Kooroomba Vineyards and Lavender Farm on your way)
- Drink and feast your way through Stanthorpe’s finest offerings, apple pies, cheeses and wines. Be sure to check out Girraween National Park for a gentler bush walking expedition!
Trip 3: The wild west
While most of us have probably been to Chinchilla at one point in our life (the biennial Chinchilla Watermelon Festival being a crowd favourite), have you ever ventured further west where the ground is red, the heat is dry and dinosaurs once roamed?
The road trip from Brisbane to Birdsville along Warrego Way is full of breathtaking landscapes, adventure and mystery. There’s so much to see and do, like:
- Opal fossicking in Quilpie
- Relaxing at the mineral rich Great Artesian Spa
- Wine tasting at Queensland’s oldest winery in Roma
- Visiting Australia’s largest dinosaurs in Eromanga
- Sitting atop “Big Red” at the edge of the Simpson Desert, and enjoying the breathtaking sunset views
Best yet, most roads are sealed so almost everything can be done in a 2WD, in case you opt for comfort over rugged adventure.
“The freedom of the open road is seductive, serendipitous and absolutely liberating.”
– Aaron Lauritsen –
Before you hit the road, make sure to plan ahead
As we always say, the more prepared you are for your journey, the safer and more enjoyable it will be. However, road trips are full of all sorts of surprises, including stubborn animals and motorists.
Should anything unexpected happen on the way, be sure to reach out to our compensation lawyers for a confidential chat.
And… don’t forget about the pandemic.
While it will be easy to get lost in your great escape joy that feels like you’re revelling in a world away from our current reality, please remember that we are still living and operating in the middle of a global pandemic, and you are likely heading to smaller towns with relatively low virus exposure.
So, stay safe, practice good hygiene and respectfully keep your physical distance from locals, especially if you find yourself feeling unwell. Otherwise, go forth and escape, lucky ones!