At Gouldson Legal, we’re resolute in our goal to deliver the highest level of legal service to Queenslanders. We believe we have an important role to play in guiding our clients along the precarious road to justice; making the journey as smooth as possible; and helping them arrive at their rightful destination. We believe in giving you a voice and ensuring your side is heard above the dull roar of legal process.
To do this, we listen. We ask questions. We get to know you and your situation in much greater depth than most law firms; in this way only can we claim to truly represent you. We do not aim to be good at what we do – we’re determined to be great.
Our innovative approach is driven by Faran Gouldson, the Director of Gouldson Legal. His journey in the industry has been an interesting one, having determined early on that he wanted his firm to focus on the people behind the paperwork. In 1999 Faran, in partnership with Kerry Shine commenced practice as Shine Gouldson Lawyers, Kerry having started Shine Lawyers in 1974 and Faran having practiced alongside Kerry since 1991. In 2004 Kerry left the firm to take up a parliamentary position, going on to be the Attorney-General for Queensland. Faran, now the sole proprietor, rebranded the firm as Gouldson Legal.
Mental Health in Law:
Unfortunately, it’s well established that law students battle higher levels of depression, suicide and substance abuse than those in other professions. This has been widely documented, not just in Australia, but worldwide – with the challenges being linked to the profession in all its forms.
Prevention is always better than a cure – meaning more could be done to tackle this in law school, when these issues can first present and when the environment for development of these issues is starting to be established.
In response to this, we wanted to find opportunities to assist those currently studying law with a project aimed at helping law students mental health.
- Applicant must be studying law full time in Australia.
- Applicants should be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or have work rights for Australia.
What you need to do to apply:
Application: Include information about your passions and why you are choosing to study law, what you are looking for in your ideal job once you have finished studying, what this scholarship would mean to you.
Project: In addition, please also include ways students can look after their mental health while studying and practicing law.
Here are some examples:
Applications should be submitted via:
$3,000 to go towards costs associated with law study.
The scholarship will be paid upon successfully completing the academic year.
Application closing date:
One scholarship for calendar year 2019
Terms & conditions:
- Successful applicants are required to submit the original copies of their proof of their enrolment as a full-time student, as well as a copy of their academic records before the award is disbursed.
- Gouldson reserves the right to reject incomplete applications or plagiarised applications.
- Gouldson reserves the right to reject all applications not made in the English language.
- Gouldson reserves the right to publish the entries received on any platform.
- The scholarship recipient is required to complete their course and maintain their grades.
- The scholarship award is decided solely by the panel of Gouldson ’s scholarship committee.
- Gouldson reserves the right to object or withdraw the scholarship upon discovering any breach in terms and conditions.
- If the scholarship applicant decides to withdraw from the course and/or terminate the scholarship prematurely, Gouldson reserves the right to impose repayment of all scholarship monies disbursed, as well as any other damages that may be incurred.